Newborn blood spot testing for SCID: what you need to know
Parts of England to trial screening for severe combined immunodeficiency as part of newborn blood spot testing programme
What is severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID)?
SCID is a is a group of rare inherited conditions that impair the development of the immune system. Without early recognition and treatment, babies with SCID generally die before they reach one year of age.
These conditions affect the immune system, leading to reduced
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests