Safe nurse staffing is no ‘local issue’ – except in England’s NHS
Legislated nurse-to-patient ratios are gaining support globally and evidence of their impact on retention grows, yet England persists with a local first approach
It has been almost a year since I last wrote about developments in safe nurse staffing across the four countries of the UK.
Nearly 12 months on, little has changed.
Devolved countries of the UK have taken different approaches to safe staffing
Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are progressing slowly with various national approaches, with a commitment to creating legislation to underpin improvements.
In 2019, the Health and Care (Staffing) (Scotland) Act became the first staffing legislation of its kind in the UK to apply
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests