Syndromes: Batten disease
A look at Batten disease, a collection of rare and fatal inherited disorders of the nervous system
The term Batten disease includes a collection of rare and fatal inherited disorders of the nervous system (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke 2019) . These disorders are termed neuronal ceroid lipofuscinoses (NCLs) and include nine forms.
The nine forms of neuronal ceroid lipofuscinoses, classified by the gene that causes the disorder, are listed here with the age of onset:
- CLN1 infantile but also late infantile, juvenile and adult
- CLN2 late infantile but also juvenile
- CLN3 juvenile
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests