Book review: Quality and Safety in Nursing
Quality and Safety in Nursing: A Competency Approach to Improving Outcomes
Gwen Sherwood and Jane Barnsteiner | Wiley Blackwell | £45.99 | 424pp | ISBN: 9781119151678
Quality and safety have always been integral to the provision of high-standard, patient-focused care for patients and their families. This publication, now in its second edition, begins by identifying all of the driving forces behind the provision of excellent care by recognising the complexities of using a competency approach to improve outcomes.
Quality and safety cannot be achieved by concentrating on one aspect of practice, but by ensuring that ‘care is safe, timely, effective, efficient, equitable and patient centred’.
To facilitate this outcome, it is crucial to consider evidence-based practice and integrated learning practices, and to learn from experience.
This publication uses plain language, not jargon, and provides an extensive glossary. There is...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests