The essentials of compassionate care
When we practise transpersonal care, we demonstrate our love for our patients and colleagues.
Reflective practice and caring science are two concepts that are essential to the delivery of compassionate care.
The first is a systematic way of thinking about the care we give, the effect it has and how we can improve it.
The second is a philosophical-ethical-ontological approach that emphasises self-knowledge, self-discovery and shared human experiences and relationships (Watson 2008).
It provides a framework for healthcare professionals to listen to, and engage with, patients and colleagues.
Habitual reflection can affect the development of a healthy work environment and promote nurse satisfaction, so grounding reflection in caring science helps us care for ourselves, others and the environment.
Reflective practice is about tapping into the human experience, our knowledge and understanding, as well as...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests