Applying the 6Cs of nursing care to our colleagues
Nurses should pull together to implement the outgoing CNO's 6Cs of nursing care, writes Helene Donnelly
Knowing that Jane Cummings is stepping down as chief nursing officer (CNO) for England has got me thinking about her 6Cs of nursing: care, compassion, competence, communication, courage, commitment.
They stand for our professional commitment to always deliver professional care to our patients. But how are these applied to our relationships with colleagues?
Applying the 6Cs
I have been shocked during my nursing career by how NHS staff treat each other. It continues to astound me how professionals working in health and social care can be so uncaring towards each other. Why is this? And how can we break down the negative behaviours and conduct of some, which impedes us from delivering professional, high-quality care to our patients.
Health and social care...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests