Tenacity, passion and visible leadership are vital in older people’s care
This article in our careers series profiles an assistant director of nursing who wants staff to speak up
As assistant director of nursing at North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust Nichole McIntosh is a leader who wants to be visible and, more importantly, accessible to her staff.
She says: ‘As leaders we need to be approachable and learn that hierarchy doesn’t always matter. We enter the profession to add value and care for patients and I live and work by what I call the “ABC rules”:
- A is for articulate, nurses need to learn how to express themselves.
- B is for bold, speak up so people hear what you have to say.
- C is for courageous, nurses should challenge people who are senior
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests