My job: nursing and midwifery director
Shelley Dolan took over as director of nursing and midwifery at Kings College Hospital this month. She discusses her career highlights so far and what she hopes to achieve in her new role
Why did you become a nurse?
It was a little unexpected, I had the experience of a family member being in hospital and was inspired by the work of nurses and the difference they made.What might you have done otherwise?
I was all set to be a famous writer or director of plays – my first degree was in English and Drama but I thought I would try nursing and then absolutely loved it. I still really enjoy literature and the theatre.How and where have you developed your leadership skills?
I think much of this has been experiential learning from amazing nurses and other clinical role models. Over the...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests