My Job: head of nursing
Finding the niche that suits you can often be as daunting as starting out in nursing, but nurse leader Joanne Strain says a willingness to learn can be your guide
What is your job?
I am head of nursing for Four Seasons Health Care, an independent British provider of health and social care services. I have worked for Four Seasons Health Care for 19 years. We have 300 care homes across the UK, looking after approximately 12,000 people.
I lead on all clinical issues and policy. Part of my remit is leading the education and development of around 3,000 nurses.
Why did you become a nurse?
My mum was a nurse and because of that I wanted to be a nurse for as long as I can remember. I left school without qualifications, got married and had four children....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests