'Good assessment skills are crucial to nursing'
Identify weaknesses in your practice, and develop them to move forward says nurse manager Helen Phelan
What is your job?
I am the nurse manager for Bradford Bevan Healthcare and for the past five and half years I have been responsible for the implementation and management of the outreach services. This is a joint initiative set up between Bevan Healthcare, Horton Housing Association and Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
In this role I am the nurse manager for the pathway team (hospital in reach), BRICSS (Bradford respite intermediate support services) and nursing management input into the Bevan street medicine team. Together, the three services provide an integrated wraparound service for vulnerable homeless patients and clients.
Why did you become a nurse?
I did work experience at a nursing home when I was 15...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests