Keep it in the family
Picture credit: Mark Hakansson
Ruth May is executive nursing director at NHS Improvement
Why did you become a nurse?
Because my mother told me to! She was a nurse, as was my aunt. In fact, my mum only left nursing to get married and have me. I did some voluntary work at a nursing home in Pontypool, which, other than the smell of talc, I found really enjoyable, so I decided I’d like to do more of it and have never regretted it.
What might you have done otherwise?
I was going to become a chef.
How and where have you developed your leadership skills?...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests