Working with homeless people makes great use of my knowledge, skills and experience
According to CHAIN, the Combined Homelessness and Information Network, there are almost 3,000 homeless people sleeping on the streets of London alone – up 55% since 2010.
Jane Cook, newly-appointed integration lead for homelessness across Guy’s and St Thomas’, King’s College and the South London and Maudsley NHS foundation trusts, has cared for street sleepers for 30 years.
Picture credit: Alamy
As a Queen’s nurse she co-founded the homeless nursing project at the Queen’s Nursing Institute (QNI) and has produced national guidelines on safeguarding homeless families.
She recently helped develop dedicated beds at hostels in four London boroughs for homeless people who have been discharged from hospital. The nurse consultant also set up StreetMed, a nursing outreach service, with St Mungo’s Broadway homeless charity in 2012 (see box , below), and now trains StreetMed nurses two days a week.
Sue Rolph is...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests