Type 1 diabetes in children: causes, signs and how to manage it
The number of children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes is on the increase, and nurses need to know how to spot the signs and advise on management and treatment
- Holistic support for the whole family is essential when managing type 1 diabetes in childhood, says Diabetes UK
- Signs to look out for include hyperglycaemia, excessive tiredness, weight loss, excessive urination and excessive thirst
- Children struggling with diabetes management should be screened for anxiety and depression
Approximately 29,000 children in the UK have type 1 diabetes and the number diagnosed is increasing.
The number of people diagnosed with type 1 diabetes is going
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests