Researchers explore factors influencing mental and emotional health in at-risk young people
Bashore L, Alexander GK, Jackson DL et al (2017) Improving health in at-risk youth through Photovoice. Journal of Child Health Care . 21, 4, 463-475.
To explore factors that influence the health of at-risk young people attending an after-school programme.
This qualitative research project was conducted through an interprofessional collaboration between nursing and social work in a predominantly Hispanic middle school in the US. Photovoice and the SHOWeD (see, happening, our, why, do) methods were used to elicit perceptions of adolescents’ environment in line with the school’s new health curriculum.
Photovoice is a method where participants photograph scenes in their community that represent their points of views. Each participant worked with a researcher who provided support in handling the cameras, reflection on the selected photographs, and ensured privacy was honoured and protected, for example by...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests