Channel 4’s Under Lock and Key: exposing the reality beneath the rhetoric
A TV documentary has highlighted the heartbreaking realities of a failing commitment to provide appropriate community care for people with learning disabilities and autism
Channel 4 Dispatches programme Under Lock and Key brought home in heartrending honesty the reality of how people with a learning disability or autism are treated in our society. It is clear that there is a woeful lack of commissioning of community provision for people whose families struggle to support them at home.
Ever since the Winterbourne View scandal the government has stated publicly that it will reduce the numbers of people going to inpatient units. It has closed many NHS facilities but that is the limit of what has been done. Far too little, far too late. And at the same time as the...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests