Book review: Breaking Free
Breaking Free: Help for survivors of child sexual abuse (Second revised edition) Kay Toon and Carolyn Ainscough Sheldon Press £14.99 | 320pp ISBN: 9781847094650
In its latest edition, this text is well known and a valuable source of help for those surviving child sexual abuse.
Aimed at survivors the authors provide a wide scope of information including the impact of abuse, perpetrating behaviour, survival, tackling the problems, feelings and breaking free.
Chapters are presented in an engaging and supportive way. In this respect it is informed by evidence and therapeutic practice – rightly so – making it a more supportive read. This latest edition brings the material up to date, referring to a range of sexually exploitative situations and how we can move toward preventing abuse.
Chapters are interspersed with stories from survivors to illustrate the issues being discussed. As such, the book provides...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests