Starting out: the lessons that should have been learned
Winter is coming. Words to make any Game of Thrones fan smile, and any healthcare professional shudder.
Everyone who works in healthcare knows what winter will bring to hospitals up and down the country. There will be more patients than beds. There will be more staff shortages, more seriously ill patients, more headlines about the failings of the NHS.
All through the quieter summer months, instead of appreciating them we spend our time saying to each other ‘it won’t be like this for long, just you wait for winter’.
I struggle to see how as a profession we can possibly increase our workload. Already nurses are stretched too thinly, and it is incredible that patient safety has not been compromised.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests