'Work hard, study hard and push boundaries'
Nurse consultant Jason Gray O’Connor set up and leads the children’s emergency department at the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital in Brighton, which has been rated outstanding by the CQC
What does your job involve?
I am responsible for providing senior nursing leadership in a dedicated children’s emergency department, sharing my expertise of children’s emergency nursing to ensure the delivery of evidence-based care and providing a service which is child and family focused.
Why did you become a children’s nurse?
I did my children’s nurse training with the initial aim of achieving a Diploma in Nursing as I had previously trained as a mental health and general nurse at certificate level. However, I fell in love with the speciality and haven’t looked back since.
What might you have done otherwise?
I considered going to college to learn to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests