Meet the UK’s first national lead nurse in neonatal palliative care
Alex Mancini works with three neonatal networks in the UK but when she first started mentioning the idea of neonatal palliative care she was met with disbelief
About 20 years ago when Alex Mancini began talking about neonatal palliative care, she was often met with disbelief. The common assumption, she says, was that there was no such thing as neonatal palliative care – there was either death or survival, with little focus on the crucial time in between.
But today neonatal palliative care is recognised as essential in supporting babies with life-limiting conditions and their families – however long or short that period may be.
‘We want families to have choice, consistency and equity of care when their baby isn’t expected to survive,’ says Ms
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests