Finding my vocation
Second-year children’s nursing student Jane Green is mum to Connor, age 13. Her other son Callum died in 2014, aged 8. He was severely brain damaged after a traumatic birth.
Why do you want to be a children’s nurse?
To give back even a tiny bit of the care and attention my son Callum received, particularly from his nurse 'aunties' at Basildon Hospital.
What might you have done otherwise?
Adult nursing. I was in the second year of a three-year nursing diploma when Callum was born and I left studying to care for him. I always intended to return, but I realised children’s nursing was where I needed to be.
Where have you worked previously?
Mainly in offices, doing administration work. I worked in a call centre for a year. I'm proficient at office...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests