From burnout to a top job in nursing research: what I’ve learned
Senior nurse researcher Jill Maben talks about her career path and offers tips for a move into research
A new appointment may have cemented her position as one of the UK’s most respected nursing researchers, but Jill Maben almost left the profession a couple of years after she had qualified.
‘I was already burnt out, I felt unsupported and was really struggling, if I’m honest,’ says Professor Maben, who has just been appointed a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) senior investigator.
The baptism of fire that led to burnout
She qualified in 1982 at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge before moving to King’s College Hospital in
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests