Book review: Childhood Obesity: Causes, Consequences, and Intervention Approaches
Childhood Obesity: Causes, Consequences, and Intervention Approaches Michael I Goran CRC Press £108.00 | 502pp ISBN: 9781498720656
This book is a clear, up-to-date and well referenced guide on the continuing issue of childhood obesity.
There is no particular nursing focus and the book might also appeal to a wider number of healthcare professionals, including dietitians, psychologists and paediatricians.
Nurses in a community setting are likely to meet many children with weight problems and the sections on nutrition and prevention of obesity are thought-provoking. Endocrine nurses might find the section on metabolic consequences, such as insulin-resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitus of interest.
I would not necessarily recommend that individual nurses buy this book unless they plan to run an obesity clinic. However, it definitely deserves a place in the hospital or department library.
Angela Casey, former senior specialist endocrine...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests