Book review: Autism Supporting Difficulties
Autism Supporting Difficulties: Handbook of Ideas to Reduce Anxiety in Everyday Situations
Gaynor M Jackson | Troubador | £8.99 | 96pp | ISBN: 9781785893872
This is a short and practical book written by a teacher for parents of children with autism .
It includes chapters on aspects of daily life, such as purchasing new clothes, going to the dentist, toilet training, socialising, sensory sensitivities, hair washing and using public transport.
Each chapter discusses the possible reasons for a difficulty and provides practical suggestions about how to overcome it.
The book encourages parents see why gently supporting change and variation can help children with autism.
I would recommend it as part of a package of professional support. However, the book offers little background information about autism and I would advise caution against nurses recommending it without ensuring parents understand its...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests