Why nurses hold the key to developing Down syndrome guidance
The Down Syndrome Act 2022 states that the NHS, social care and other providers must ensure they meet service users’ specific needs, and nurses’ input is vital
Diagnostic overshadowing is not a new concept for learning disability nurses but the impact it has on people with Down syndrome is not always fully understood by many healthcare professionals and the public.
It happens when a healthcare professional makes an assumption that the behaviour of a person is part of their condition without exploring other factors, such as an acute illness or as a means of communication.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests