Syndromes: Aicardi syndrome
Aicardi syndrome is a rare neurodeveopmental disorder, first identified in the mid-1960s, that could be encountered by learning disability nurses
Aicardi syndrome , first identified by Jean Aicardi in the mid-1960s, is a rare and severe neurodevelopmental disorder (Aicardi 2003) . It is thought to affect up to 4,000 individuals worldwide. There is no clear understanding of the aetiology of this condition, but it is known to be an X-linked dominant condition found almost exclusively in females.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests