'I enjoy supporting people to develop and reach their full potential'
Clinical nurse specialist for learning disabilities Brian Evans is a strong advocate for people and is driven to ensure they have the best quality of life
What is your job?
I am a clinical nurse specialist for learning disabilities at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Trust. In my role I support individuals, families, carers and hospital staff to ensure care and treatment is person-centred and designed to meet the specific needs for the patient. This includes identifying reasonable adjustments, ensuring the legislative principles of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 are followed and supporting the person and carers to develop a hospital passport. I also liaise with the multidisciplinary team and allied health professionals to identify care pathways and develop care plans to enhance service provision.
Why did you become a learning disability nurse?
My wife and I had a...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests