Roisin Devlin - Bigger picture
Last December, RCN Northern Ireland (RCN NI) embarked on a social media campaign to lobby the health minister to implement a pay award for Northern Ireland nurses, called #fairpay4NInurses.
While decisions about pay had been made for the rest of the UK, Northern Ireland’s health minister Simon Hamilton was yet to decide whether nurses should receive pay rises, and Northern Ireland’s RCN board voted to ballot members for industrial action short of strike.
The RCN sent a letter to every member of the legislative assembly (MLA) in Northern Ireland to ask if they supported a fair pay deal for nurses. Over the 12 days of Christmas, RCN NI published the names of those who had declared their support.
The Twitter group @EmergNursesNI , a community of nurses, healthcare support workers and other emergency care professionals in Northern Ireland, were...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests