Falls prevention: assessing patient risk in emergency departments
Patient safety in NHS settings is paramount, yet falls in hospitals are the most commonly reported safety incident. What risk factors should nurses look for?
- About 250,000 slips, trips and falls are logged in England in NHS hospital settings every year
- NHS paid out £915,000 in damages and legal costs in 25 cases of fall injuries in the emergency department between 2014-2018
- People over 65 account for three quarters of patient safety incidences – those over 70 are more likely to be fatally injured
Falls in hospital are the most commonly reported patient safety incident.
Every year about 250,000 slips, trips and falls are logged in England in NHS
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests