How to survive your first day in a new job
Starting a new job can be exciting and daunting in equal measure, but there are things you can do to alleviate nerves on your first day.
The first thing to remember is that you were hired for a reason, and your new employer believes in you.
‘You have the qualifications and experience to do the job, so you have every reason to believe that you’re up to it,’ says Simon Hudson, director at recruiting agency Hays Healthcare.
Mr Hudson also advises drawing on previous positive experiences as a great way to remember how resilient you can be.
‘Jot down a few instances where you have coped with change effectively and keep these at the forefront of your mind for your first few days,’ he advises.
And don’t be a shrinking violet, however tempting it can...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests