Paediatric clinical research advanced nurse practitioner
Lucy Cooper, the only paediatric clinical research advanced nurse practitioner in the UK, talks about her inspiration and challenges
What is your job?
My role as an advanced nurse practitioner (ANP) in clinical research is to provide specialist expertise, advice and clinical care in the identification, assessment, treatment and management of children participating in research.
I lead on participant care for the duration of a trial, covering inclusion assessment, consent, medical history taking, systems examinations, specialised clinical skills such as intrathecal drug administration or skin biopsies, managing complex and challenging clinical incidents and prescribing trial drugs. I also provide clinical expertise, leadership and education to research nurses and other research professionals.
Why did you become a nurse?
I became a children’s nurse because I wanted to care for sick children and their families at some of the most difficult times...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests