How to make improvements to fluid balance monitoring in your ED
Emergency department sister Gemma Gessey set up a quality improvement project for patient fluid monitoring after spotting poor cases of documentation
Poor fluid monitoring is not a new concern in nursing, despite patient fluid balance being a fundamental aspect of care.
Good documentation identifies patients at risk of dehydration, fluid overload, sepsis, and promotes continuity of care and, accordingly, various research has focused on substandard monitoring of fluid balance and patient hydration in the NHS.
- RELATED: Fluid monitoring must
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests