Nurses use video link to keep older people out of hospital
Telehealth is enabling nurses to triage older people in care and nursing homes, avoiding unnecessary emergency department presentations
- Nurses take about 30 calls a day, assessing nursing and care home residents via video link
- Team has helped to prevent 3,500 unnecessary visits to emergency departments
- Homes can link with nurses to have patients checked, avoiding need to wait for a GP visit
A nurse-led digital health service is using video technology to provide faster care for older patients, preventing avoidable visits to a hospital emergency department.
The scheme was launched in Tameside, Greater Manchester, in November 2017 with the aim of tackling the high number of avoidable emergency department attendances by residents of nursing and care homes.
Latest figures up to July 2019 show that the nursing team...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests