Paediatric emergency unit sister
Emily Jones says all experiences at work, good and bad, will make you a better emergency nurse
What is your job?
I am a sister in the paediatric emergency unit at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, where I help to lead and manage a team of 22 nurses and one play specialist, seeing more than 32,000 paediatric patients a year.
Why did you become an emergency nurse?
On an emergency department (ED) placement during my training I knew it was the place for me. I loved the pace, variety and excitement of not knowing what was coming through the doors.
As a newly qualified nurse in Cardiff, I was placed on a surgical ward and for the first month often cried after shifts as it was so daunting. I then settled down and started to enjoy it,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests