Helping older people access the best acute hospital care
The first feature in a series looking at career pathways in caring for older people looks at two advanced nurse practitioners working in acute hospital settings
‘We are no longer in a world where it is rare to live past 65’ Wendy Mashlan
Even in her early days as a nursing student Wendy Mashlan recognised that working with older people was rewarding and challenging.
She says: 'I started to realise that older people might not come into hospital with just one problem; they could have other complex clinical or psychological needs. I knew it was about looking at the older patient as a whole and from a different perspective - that was what interested me.'
Ms Mashlan, who is lead advanced nurse practitioner (ANP) in care of elderly medicine at Princess...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests