Student’s homemade songbook helped patients forget cancer symptoms
When nursing student Georgia Brain created a book of lyrics to help her patients remember the words of songs from their youth, she learned a valuable lesson about the importance of a patient-centred approach to care
As a second-year nursing student I have been working as a healthcare assistant to gain more clinical experience and increase my self-confidence when caring for patients.
On an evening shift on a specialist palliative care unit, I was helping to care for a bay of three female patients, aged between 65 and 90. They all had different forms of cancer and had been admitted to the unit for the management of symptoms that were affecting their daily living, including nausea, poor appetite and drowsiness.
The area in Bournemouth where I was working was having bad weather that had caused the bedside televisions to lose their...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests