What it’s like working as an oncology nurse
Joining a cancer ward can be daunting, but it allows you to work closely with patients
Joining a cancer ward can be a nerve-wracking prospect, with many nurses worried about the toll on their own emotional well-being.
‘There’s a stigma around cancer nursing because it’s such an emotional and specialised area,’ says staff nurse Chelsea Jackson. ‘But I’d say don’t be scared. There are opportunities for learning, especially if you want to progress in your career.’
After graduating from the University of Northampton in 2016, Ms Jackson joined Northampton General Hospital’s 24-bed Talbot Butler oncology and...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests