Safeguarding and how we can get it right
Adult safeguarding is a complex area requiring all our judgement and compassion
As services and staff are put under pressure, we can find it difficult to meet everyone’s needs. But safeguarding is one need we cannot allow to go unmet.
Safeguarding people is complex and therefore can be difficult to do well. So, what is safeguarding all about?
First, it is about autonomy and ensuring people have a say in what happens to them. I’m not talking merely about consent, but about giving people control. It is not your care, it’s theirs: it is their right, and their responsibility, to be in control.
Second, safeguarding is about boundaries – physical, emotional, sexual, financial – and making sure certain people are not exploited, neglected or abused. We must stand between the person and harm or risk through...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests