Five reasons why nurses should encourage smokers to switch to e-cigarettes
More than three million people across use the UK have switched to e-cigarettes, yet many smokers are put off trying them because they believe vaping is as harmful as smoking tobacco
Nurses observe the harm that smoking causes to health and know that preventing people starting smoking and helping smokers to quit is one of the most important things we can do to help more people live longer and healthier lives.
‘Nurses play a vital role in identifying smokers, giving them brief advice on quitting and signposting further support’
Evidence shows that prompts from healthcare professionals are one of the most common reasons a person attempts to quit smoking (ASH 2016). Nurses play a vital role in identifying smokers, giving them brief advice on quitting and signposting further support.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests