‘Make the most of every learning opportunity’
Elizabeth Smyth, a medicines management specialist nurse at Craigavon Area Hospital in Northern Ireland, describes her role and reveals the advice she would give a newly registered nurse
What does your current role involve?
I provide specialist nursing expertise and leadership in medicines management for domiciliary care workers who administer medicines in a person's own home. I also provide training to nurses and support workers who administer medicines in adult and children's services in trust facilities, such as day care, residential care, supported living and respite facilities.
I design and deliver medicines management education and training programmes, and develop service initiatives for medicines management across these sectors.
Why did you become a nurse?
My decision to become a nurse was impulsive. However, it was the right move as I have had a very enjoyable and rewarding career....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests