Specialist role provides thyroid cancer support
About 2,700 people are diagnosed with thyroid cancer each year in the UK, many of whom experience isolation due to a lack of support and information. To address this imbalance, Macmillan Cancer Support recently introduced the role of thyroid cancer information nurse specialist.
Geraldine Hamilton, who is based in Glasgow, provides information via the charity’s telephone support line, receiving calls from across the UK. Information and support is also provided via email and through the charity’s online links.
Ms Hamilton has 30 years’ experience as a nurse, mainly in oncology and palliative care. Before starting in her new role in January, she was a cancer information nurse on Macmillan’s support line, which is staffed by 30 nurses; in 2013, they responded to nearly 150,000 calls.
‘There are few...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests