Programme launched to speed up anorexia recovery times
An eating disorder team is bringing people together to overcome the illness, reports Julie Penfold
Around 1.6 million people in the UK are affected by an eating disorder, estimates the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). In Lincolnshire, a pioneering nurse-led eating disorders service and anorexia day programme is helping people overcome these devastating illnesses.
Eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa feature severe disturbances in eating behaviour and weight regulation. They have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, with up to 20% of those seriously affected dying prematurely. However, research has shown the earlier treatment is sought, the more likely patients are to make a full recovery. An eating disorders fact file is shown below.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests