Nursing care service provides comfort and support through the night
Pal@home is a night nursing care service providing rapid response clinical support and short-term intervention for severely ill patients with palliative or end-of-life needs.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust introduced the pal@home service in December to address a shortfall in out-of-hours at-home nursing support for patients with end-of-life care needs. The service operates from 8pm to 8am, seven days a week.
The service aims to prevent unnecessary hospital admissions and to provide end-of-life care to patients at home. It compliments the work of the trust’s @home service, providing patients with daytime rapid response support to prevent unnecessary hospital admissions.
Most patients are referred to the service in the last weeks, days or hours of their lives. At this difficult time, patients and families value the clinical expertise, including symptom management, and practical and personal support the nurses provide. Support can...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests