'Community nurses are well placed to reach out to vulnerable groups'
Award-winning specialist practitioner district nurse for NHS Borders Lynn Weir discusses how a conference marked a turning point in her career development, and the importance of tackling inequality within healthcare
It was a real honour to win the Queen’s Nursing Institute Scotland postgraduate award in community nursing recently.
It has inspired me to focus on the many positive aspects in the field.
I feel passionately that we must work together with all sectors in the community for the benefit of patients and other healthcare professionals.
Having undertaken a degree in sociology, I have always had an interest in exploring the values and beliefs of different cultures. This has stimulated a desire to work with people in the community.
After graduating, I chose to work as a home carer on a dementia project. The experience instilled...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests