Three decades of older people's nursing reflected in our pages
The story of our journal seen through a dip into the archives, along with the recollections of two former occupants of the editor’s chair
‘You will not all agree, but it had to be done.’
With those words the editor at the time, Linda Thomas, kick-started a new era for this journal, which until then, in June 1989, had gone by the name of Geriatric Nursing and Home Care.
‘The title of the magazine had to change to remove a term which genuinely offends so many of you,’ she wrote in an editorial.
And so Nursing the Elderly was born. Later the journal would change its name again, finally becoming Nursing Older People in 2000.
Positive and exciting era
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests