What are communities of practice and how can they help nurses?
How nurses can enhance and develop their professional identity, nurture new knowledge, cultivate change and learn diverse practices
In considering the response to this question, I have reflected on my career and the ‘communities of practice’ in which I have participated. Before you read further, think about the professional groups you have belonged to and consider how they have helped in your development by sharing knowledge and expertise.
The following list may include some of those you have identified:
- A network in your professional organisation.
- Membership of a society.
- Local journal club.
- Specialist interest group whether local, regional or national, such as dementia care or diabetes.
- Study focused
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests