Edinburgh Fringe review
Lesley Warner reviews plays with mental health themes at this year’s Edinburgh Fringe
In Shell Shock , based on the true account of a former soldier, Tom Page gives a searing portrayal of a man living through post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following active military service. The character, Tommy Atkins, is named after the archetypal soldier in the British Army. He tells us about his hopes and dreams as he returns from Iraq, the jobs he wants to get in the police or fire service, and the plans with his girlfriend. But after three years of combat he finds his hometown a more unsettling place than he remembers.
Irritable and frustrated, Tom deals poorly with the rejection of his job applications, and his nightmares and inability to control his temper and his drinking
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests