Medium secure services need a recovery academy
Recovery is a personal journey of discovery. It involves making sense of and finding meaning in what has happened, becoming an expert in self-care and building a new sense of self and purpose in life.
Mental health services can help people in this journey, but it requires services to move beyond a focus on symptom reduction, to helping people rebuild lives that they find satisfying, meaningful and valued.
This change is reflected in the key outcomes of the mental health policy strategy No Health Without Mental Health (Department of Health 2011)
Secure care recovery
Recovery in a secure hospital can be difficult, because individuals are detained under the Mental Health Act and have less control over their lives while in hospital. Other people can hold the keys, decide when they can come and go, and even decide when they have...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests