How good nursing leadership can champion holistic healthcare
King's College London researcher Una Foye explains why it is crucial to invest in mental health nursing leadership on acute medical and surgical wards
Research shows that people with mental health problems have significantly worse medical and surgical outcomes.
Compared with the general population, they:
- Have higher rates of readmission to acute, medical and surgical care (Hanrahan et al 2016) .
- Are more likely to be admitted to acute care by ambulance as an emergency rather than receive planned care (Reeves et al 2018) .
- Have significantly longer rates of stay during non-psychiatric hospital admissions
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests