How can it be 40 years since I started nursing?
You know that moment when you wake up and realise you started your general nurse training course 40 years ago?
No? Well you will.
My career as a nurse started in September 1977 at the futuristic Greenwich District Hospital in south London: look it up on YouTube – it had escalators.
It has recently been knocked down because it was out of date, unfit for purpose and a blot on the landscape – I know the feeling.
But how time passes.
In those 40 years nursing has grown as a profession in size, scope and influence.
Back then I was told that I should never run, even in a life or death situation, and that on ward rounds I should stand with my hands meekly...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests