National mental health director Claire Murdoch says future of nursing is bright
Claire Murdoch originally wanted to have a career as an actor and dancer, but after five ‘enjoyable’ years of travelling the UK in semi-professional productions, she decided that her talents lay elsewhere. After seeing an advertisement in a women’s magazine, her career took a change of direction.
Now, 30-odd years later, she is the chief executive of one of the largest integrated community and mental health trusts as well as being NHS England’s national mental health director.
‘I decided I wanted to get a proper job. I didn’t know what I wanted to do, but I knew I wanted to help people. I saw an advert in a magazine for mental health nurses describing these people with problems and how mental health nurses made the difference to their lives.
'At the time I didn’t have the first clue that there was such a...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests